Wednesday, December 19, 2012

BOOK BLURB: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


***

Date Read: June 1, 2012

I am very disappointed with myself after reading this book. I really am.

The Fault In Our Stars is about a life of a teenage cancer patient, Hazel, who meets and eventually gets deeply attached to Augustus Waters. Their story is both compelling and heart-wrenching at the same time. You'll feel bad for both of them, but I think the sense of pride and admiration will overpower it. They're strong like that.

The book didn't disappoint me. I loved the humor, the honesty (eventhough it is a bit hurtful), the sincerity of the characters, etc... I even like the big words and complicated sentences in the book that I barely understand. Maybe my mental capacity has reached its limit and can't process those things.

Anyway, the entirety of the book got me on a tight grip that sometimes, I really felt what they felt. The only problem is, myself. I'm the disappointment. I don't feel enough, I guess. The book was like this object that triggered tears, cause most readers did cry, but I didn't. I felt like it, but I didn't.

*can't keep my thoughts together.

Come to think of it, the story is a bit simple. But it's unique in a way that it's sweet, sincere, sensibly humoruos, tragically beautiful, and painfully honest. :)

** My thoughts aren't well-organized today because (1) I just finished a brilliant book and I can't stop thinking about it and (2) it's 2am and I think I'm sleepy.

View all my reviews


teepee J

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...