Monday, December 24, 2012

BOOK BLURB: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Number of Pages: 390
Date Published: January 3, 2012
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction / Retelling

Goodreads:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Thoughts:
(Date Read: August 31, 2012)

CYBORG CINDERELLA rules! I am so glad I was not disappointed with Cinder. My initial expectations were quite different from what happened in the story, but it turned out to be way better than what I was thinking.

Cinder, as we all know, is a cyborg - half human and half robot. I didn't imagine her physical condition appealing, but I really liked her personality. She is naturally nice and kind, but when her benevolence gets abused, she shows a really bad temper. She knows what she wants and she's firm on her decisions. She's the best mechanic in town. How cool is that? A girl mechanic!?

I also love Iko! I imagine her to be this cute little robot running around and doing errands. (Though she might not be that cute, I want her to be cute!)

Regarding the plot, I really don't have a problem with it. The futuristic world was set out nicely. There were actually lots of things going on which I really don't mind - the search for Letumosis' cure, the political tremors the Commonwealth is experiencing, finding the lost princess, Cinder and Kai's growing friendship and a whole lot more.

Aaaah! Kai and Cinder!!! I liked how their relationship developed slowly, like they were being really careful. Their first meeting made me smile and their coincidental meetings were to look forward for. What more can I say? I like them.

All in all, Cinder is a wonderful read. Though the only similarity that the book had with Cinderella (the Disney version) was that Cinder was an orphan, had an evil "stepmother/guardian" and a "stepsister", and the Ball. The other parts were entirely from the author's wonderful imagination. I want Scarlet now!




*continue reading if you already read the book*
*spoiler ahead*
*you have been warned*

Couldn't it be more obvious that Cinder is Princess Selene?




***February 2016 Update***
I have edited this 2012 review because there were so many unnecessary exclamation marks and pointless "hahahaha" laughs. I don't know why I reviewed like that four years ago. But people change, and hopefully the way I review books changed (improved) as well. I did not change much in this review because I wanted to preserve the feelings  I had after reading the book. I just deleted some annoying and unwanted things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...